Official Judges 2019 will be announced two months before the Competition
Official Judges 2018
The Judges for our OFFICIAL TANGO CHAMPIONSHIP, the US TANGO WORLD CUP BRANCH, are evaluated and approved by the Direction of the Office of Festivals and Central Events of the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires. Most of our Judges are also Judges at the Tango World Cup (Mundial).
We will have two different Jury Panels, one Jury Panel for the Qualifying rounds (Thursday and Friday evenings), formed by some of our internationally renowned Festival Masters from Argentina*; and one Jury Panel for the Semifinal and Final rounds on Saturday and Sunday evenings which will be formed by experienced prestigious Maestros from Buenos Aires hired exclusively to judge.
Jury Panel for Qualifying Rounds* (Thursday and Friday)
Jury Panel for Semifinal and Finals (Saturday and Sunday)
- Competitors participating in the official categories of Tango de Pista and Stage Tango may register to/purchase all (or any) festival workshops and take private classes with all festival maestros on Saturday and Sunday. On Friday March 30th, they will not be able to take private classes or workshops with Guillermina Quiroga, Junior Cervila, Guadalupe García, Adrian Veredice and Alejandra Hobert due to the fact that these maestros will be judging on Thursday and Friday evenings. However competitors are allowed to take classes with world tango champions Cristian Palomo and Melisa Sacchi, who will not be Judges at the Competition.
- Competitors participating in the Salon Tango Senior, Milonga or Stage Tango Group categories may take privates and register to/purchase all (or any) of the festival workshops with all festival maestros.
- The Judges for this competition are evaluated and approved by the Direction of the Office of Festivals and Central Events of the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires.
- The Argentine Tango USA Direction together with the Direction of the Office of Festivals and Central Events of the Ministry of Culture of Buenos Aires agreed to call the Festival Maestros and other three extra Judges as the Official Judges for the 2016 competition.*
- Contestants will have to complete a form considered as a sworn statement to inform if they have had a work, professional or personal relationship with any of the members of the Jury at the competition, during the last 180 days prior to the championship so that the Judge/s in questions abstain/s from evaluating that couple. Judges will also have to declare if they have had a work, professional or personal relationship with any of the competitors in the last 6 months, so that if that would be the case, the judge/s will abstain from evaluating that couple. In this case the Organization can choose to provide an official substitute judge so that the couple in question can be evaluated, or the couple´s final score will result from the average score emerged from the number of judges who have voted.
- Competitors will not be able to take workshops with the Festival Masters who are also Judges on Friday March 30 as they will be member of the Jury Panel for the qualifying rounds on Thursday and Friday at the Championship.
- Competitors are allowed to take workshops or privates with Festival Masters on Saturday and Sunday as there will be a different Jury Panel on those days.
- The Judges will evaluate the competitors in the different categories according to the evaluation criteria and to all the rules established by the Committee.
- Judges of the Qualifying round, the Semifinals and the Finals will consist of at least four members.
- The Judges may eliminate participants who distract, disturb or do not follow the rules of the competition.
- All decisions made by the Judges are final.
- In case of a draw, or if determined by the Judges, the contestants will dance the songs the Judges consider necessary to reach a final determination. Participants may not refuse to do so.
- The couple´s final score will result from the average score emerged from the number of judges who have voted.
- The Judges will choose, in each category, a winning couple. In addition, the Judges will grant awards and honorable mentions for the second and third places.
- The Judges’ ruling cannot be subject to appeal. The participants, by registering, accept this condition.
- The Direction of the Office of Festivals and Central Events of the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires will send an Auditor (Seeker) to verify that the competition rules and regulations are applied correctly.
*Festival Maestros are all professionals tango teacher who come from Argentina; therefore they are visiting masters in the USA who come to work for a short period of time on a working tour. This reduces to the minimum the possibility of developing any kind of professional or personal relationship with the competitors and this is the reason why, the Festival Maestros previously approved by the Office in Buenos Aires who agree and are available, will be Judging at the Competition. Local Maestros also qualify to be Judges as long as they are approved by the Office of Festivals in Buenos Aires and when the Jury Panel cannot be entirely formed by visiting tango masters.
Official Judges 2016
JURY PANEL per day
||Laila Rezk||Claudio Villagra||Claudio Villagra|
|Tomas Galvan||Eduardo Saucedo||Helena Fernandez||Helena Fernandez|
|Silvana Nuñez||Gimena Herrera||Leandro Oliver||Leandro Oliver|
|Ivan Romero||Ivan Romero||Eduardo Saucedo||Laila Rezk|