Last update on April 12, 2021.
ATUSA OFFICIAL USA TANGO CHAMPIONSHIP & FESTIVAL, the Official US Preliminary of Tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup, (the TANGO MUNDIAL) has postponed its traditional dates (on Easter Weekend) to JULY 22 -25, 2021 due to the Covid19 situation that is expected to be under control by the beginner of Summer – when most of the population have already been vaccinated.
All competitors (as well as spectators and festival attendees) will have to pre-register between March 5 and July 8, 2021.
1. All attendees must provide proof of full vaccination by July 8. Proof of recovery (positive test followed by negative test ) will also be accepted if attendee were infected after December 1, 2020. In addition, masking and hand sanitizer may still be required.
2. In order to complete the registration process, attendees must agree to the ATUSA Attendance Policy and Protocols at the time of registration.
3. All Passes still require purchasing in advance due to possible capacity restrictions, so take into account there may not be on site tickets sold.
ATUSA is the sanctioned direct branch/preliminary in the United States of Tango Buenos Aires Festival & Dance World Cup/Mundial de Tango de Buenos Aires, which is organized by the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, (together, the official highest authorities for Argentine Tango in the world and the responsible entities regarding the organization, program planning and overall execution of the Mundial de Tango de Buenos Aires). Therefore, ATUSA is bound by its rules and regulations.
ATUSA represents TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL & DANCE WORLD CUP in the US, offering all competing couples the opportunity to shine in high level competition in front of an Official Jury Panel* formed by professionals of international renown and vast experience, and approved by the two official bodies, Tango BA Dance World Cup (Mundial de Tango), and the Ministry of Culture of the City of Buenos Aires.
There are 7 championship categories, two of which are the Official (they are represented at the Tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup,- descriptions below).
ATUSA is the only OFFICIAL TANGO entity entitled to hand in Official USA Tango Champion Titles and to send the OFFICIAL US representatives (champions) to compete directly at the SEMIFINAL ROUNDS of the unique TANGO BUENOS AIRES DANCE WORLD CUP every August, – avoiding over 600 couples at the qualifying rounds.
IMPORTANT annoucement: In case that BA Festivals, in charge of the organization of TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL AND DANCE WORLD CUP takes the decision not to hold the World Cup in presence during 2021 due to the pandemic situation, ATUSA’s official champions of Tango Pista and Stage Stango will maintain their qualification to compete at the TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL AND DANCE WORLD CUP 2022 of whenever the sanitary situation allows the event to be carried out. The organization of ATUSA, official PRELIMINARY of TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL AND DANCE WORLD CUP will guarantee to the 2021 official winning couples the total coverage of cost of travel and stay of both dancing partners, including tickets from the city of residence of the winning couple to the City of Buenos Aires (airfares and travel included), accommodation and meal expenses for the days of the Preliminary’s Gala, semifinals and finals of the next edition of the Tango World Cup.
Appointed by the Ministry of Culture of Buenos Aires and the Office of Festivals and Central Events,the designated BA Tango World Cup Auditor will travel to the US to supervise all instances of the competition.The Auditor/Supervisor will bear the responsibility of ensuring the compliance of the Official Championship rules; properly solve any inconvenience not considered in these Rules; establish or inform about the clarifying or interpretative rules that he/she considers necessary and calculate the scores using the Tango BA World Cup formula.
All categories in this Championship (official and non-official) will be evaluated by the Official Judges and audited by the designated Tango BA Dance World Cup Supervisor.
NOTE: participants in the official categories (Tango de Pista and Stage Tango) must be US Citizens or residents of at least one year by the date of the competition to be able compete. However, there are no residence/nationality restrictions for the other categories: Vals, Milonga, Salon Seniors, “So you think you can Tango?”, and Stage Group.
ATUSA also offers a magnificent TANGO FESTIVAL including tango dance workshops, special workshops (Dj’s, Folklore, Stage training, etc.), amazing master performances/shows, milongas with live music and best recorded music, which together with the Official US Championship, makes it a staggering, unique high quality Tango event.
*TANGO BUENOS AIRES DANCE WORLD CUP (Mundial de Tango de Buenos Aires) is the most impressive tango event in the globe with the greatest international impact; it has completed 18 consecutive successful editions since 2003. It includes the colossal Tango World Cup and an awesome tango festival for over 10 days. Thousands of dancers and audiences from all over the world come to the city to participate in the various activities offered by this celebration. Last August 2019, over 700 competing couples from 36 countries participated at the Tango World Cup and 10,000 people attended the Finals at the Luna Park Stadium!
Visit Tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup (Mundial de Tango de Buenos Aires) Official Website:
ATUSA CHAMPIONSHIP CATEGORIES:
- “TANGO DE PISTA” – OFFICIAL; open to both amateur and professional dancers. Residence restrictions apply. This category is bound by the rules and regulations of Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup.
- “STAGE TANGO” – OFFICIAL; open to both amateur and professional dancers. Residence restrictions apply. This category is bound by the rules and regulations of Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup.
- “MILONGA” –open to both amateur and professional dancers. No residence restrictions.
- “VALS” – open to both amateur and professional dancers. No residence restrictions.
- “SALON TANGO SENIOR” – open to social dancers (amateurs). No professionals allowed. Age restrictions apply. No residence restrictions.
- “SO YOU THINK YOU CAN TANGO?” – open to social dancers (amateurs). No professionals allowed. No residence restrictions.
- “STAGE TANGO GROUP” Competition/Showcase with evaluation by the Jury (open to amateur dancers directed by a teacher/choreographer). No residence restrictions.