LAST PRE- REGISTRATION PERIOD 10% OFF! Registration ends on March 21
Last update February 20, 2023
Event Program for ATUSA 2023
- 4 nights 3 days of 100% pure authentic Tango Argentino. You can be a festival participant, a spectator, a supporter or a competitor in the 2023 ATUSA Official Tango Championship & Festival.
- 4 nights of the sole unique Official Argentine Tango Championship in the USA with best tango couples participating from over 24 states!
- 4 Top of the top Master Couples from Buenos Aires- with great international reputation and excellence in both teaching and performing -, will be directing the workshops
- Special Welcome Class on Thurs evening + Opening Milonga with Festival Maestros Presentation and Demo
- 32 Great Tango Workshops all focused on your learning and improving your tango!
- Special Workshops (Chacarera, Canyengue, DJ workshop, Stage Tango)
- 3 matinee Milongas Fri through Sun!
- 4 evening Milongas 9.00 pm – 3.00 am with amazing music by expert tango DJs!
- 2 spectacular Masters Shows + Special Performances!
- Over 26,000 sq. feet of open dance space for our milongas, competitions and workshops
- Amazing accommodation at special discounted rates at the marvelous Double Tree by Hilton Hotel.
- Special discounted buffet breakfast coupons.
- Special discounted parking rates.
- Complimentary Hotel airport shuttle.
To register click here
Schedules and/or descriptions of classes may be subject to change. They will be announced should they occur. Classes will start and finish on time, so please do not be late. The teachers reserve the right to request that a student leave any class if they feel he or she is unable to keep up or is disruptive. For those unable to keep up, the management will make every attempt to substitute a class at an appropriate level, but no refunds will be offered. To be fair to all attendees, the teachers will not alter the level of their classes for students unable to keep up. The festival classes were designed to teach specific topics/material that will benefit students from pre-intermediate to advanced level. For you own benefit, it is very important that you know what your level in the dance is when you register.
We have included a simple description of the levels and classified the classes in four groups:
- All Levels
- Intermediate / Advanced
1. ALL Levels: suitable for everybody and great to go over technique issues, go over fundamentals and to acquire good habits. Great to review, reinforce and improve motions we have learnt before or that we want to learn now. Therefore, these are NOT beginner level classes.
2. Pre-intermediate: this is a great class for every student who has had regular instruction for a minimum period of 12 -24 months. This class is ideal to work on or refresh fundamentals and technique through exercises and nice, enjoyable social dance moves. Navigation resources and musicality will be emphasized. Basic understanding of technique, simple concepts and steps is necessary.
3. Intermediate: a reasonable level of technical understanding of tango, handling close and open embrace and a good repertoire of steps is needed (molinetes, barridas, voleos, sacadas). At this level, dancers need to have good navigation and connection. Partner rotation is recommended.
4. Intermediate/Advanced: These classes are intended for more experienced intermediate and advanced dancers. You should meet all the requirements of the intermediate level described above, apart from being able to lead or follow more challenging tango figures and to navigate on a crowded floor. Partner rotation is recommended in these classes though it will be up to the teachers.
5. Advanced: excellent understanding of the technical aspects of tango, navigation, improvisational resources and connection are major factors. You should be able to execute complex tango figures. We strongly advise that you register as a couple to get maximum benefit of the content of the class and from your time with the maestros. Some advanced classes offered will be limited to couples to maximize class content. In others, partner rotation will be up to the teachers, but is not mandatory.
Please see our Class schedule page to help you chose the right class.
The organization understands how frustrating it is to attend classes where there is not an equal number of leaders and followers. To that end, we would appreciate your cooperation in registering with a partner or at least early enough so that we can plan to help achieve balance for the lessons. That is why we are the only festival which offers an online pre-registration to classes. In that way we can see how many leaders and followers register in each class and do our best to balance them either using the “second choice” class selection or adding volunteer class assistants. Although we will make our best to gender balance the classes, we cannot guarantee a partner per dancer, nor can we be responsible for your partner’s level in classes that rotate partners. Therefore, to maximize your class time, it is always best to bring your own partner. Please note that once online registration is closed, you will only be able to sign up for classes at door with a partner, or in classes that aren’t already balanced.
NO VIDEO or STILL CAMERAS will be allowed during the classes. You may videotape the 5 minute summary at the end of each class as long as the instructor allows it.
NO VIDEO or STILL CAMERAS will be allowed during the Competition and Masters Shows.
Festival Refund Policy 2023
- A registration cannot be shared and is not transferable.
- Full refund (minus PayPal fees 3.6% approx.) if registration if cancelled by Jan 4, 2023.
- 50% refund (minus PayPal fees 3.6% approx.) if registration is cancelled between Jan 5 and Feb 5, 2023.
- NO REFUNDS from Feb 6, 2023.
- If you are unable to attend the event due to a COVID-19 infection, your registration fees will be applied towards the event in 2024 as long as proof of COVID-19 positive test from a professional testing facility is provided. No refunds will be issued.
Competition and Milongas timetables
1. Competition & evening milongas
6.00 pm: Welcome Class (intermediate level) by two Master couples!
7.15 pm Competition First Qualifying Round: Tango de Pista & Stage Tango (official categories) + Salon Tango Senior category
9.00 pm – 3.00 a.m. Opening Milonga with presentation and demo by our Festival Maestros
7.15 pm Competition Second Qualifying Round: Tango de Pista & Stage Tango (official categories) + “So you think you can tango?” category
9.00 pm. – 3.00 a.m. Milonga with Special Performance
7.15 pm Semifinal Rounds for Tango de Pista & Stage Tango (official categories) + qualifying rounds for Milonga, and Vals categories
9.00 pm. – 3.00 a.m. GALA Milonga with Great Masters Show
7.15 pm Grand Final rounds: Tango de Pista & Stage Tango (official categories) + Milonga and Vals categories. Coronation of all Champions and the new Official USA Tango Champions 2023, – who will represent the USA at the Tango Mundial in Buenos Aires
9.00 pm. – 3.00 a.m. Farewell Milonga with Masters Show.
Single evening milonga tickets can be purchased in advance till March 21, 2023.
2. MATINEE MILONGAS:
Tickets only available with cash at door.
Friday 3.30 to 6.30 pm
Saturday 4.30 – 6.45pm
Sunday from 12 noon to 3.00pm
Cost: $20p/p each Matinee