Last update on October, 2020.
ATUSA OFFICIAL CHAMPIONSHIP & FESTIVAL, the Official US Preliminary of tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup, (the TANGO MUNDIAL) is currently planning how the 2021 Official Championship & Festival Program will look like in a COVID19 safe setting, so that all participants, artists and audience can enjoy the event.
Due to the current pandemic situation, the registration will be delayed a few more weeks.
ATUSA is the sanctioned branch/preliminary in the United States of Tango Buenos Aires Festival & Dance World Cup* (“Mundial de Tango de Buenos Aires”), which is organized by the Ministry of Culture of the Government of the City of Buenos Aires, – the highest authority regarding the organization, program planning and overall execution of Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup-, ) and therefore, ATUSA is bound by the rules and regulations of Tango Buenos Aires Dance World Cup.
ATUSA represents TANGO BUENOS AIRES FESTIVAL & DANCE WORLD CUP in the US, offering all competing couples the opportunity to shine in high level competition in front of an Official Jury Panel* formed by professionals of international renown and vast experience evaluated and approved by the Tango BA Dance World Cup and the Ministry of Culture of the City of Buenos Aires.
Participants in the official categories must be US Citizens or residents of at least one year to be able compete in any of the two official categories, Tango de Pista and Stage Tango. There are no residence restrictions for the other categories: Vals, Milonga, Salon Seniors, “So you think you can Tango?”, and Stage Group.
ATUSA is the only OFFICIAL entity entitled to hand in Official USA Tango Champion Titles and to send the OFFICIAL US representatives (champions) to compete directly at the SEMIFINAL ROUNDS of the unique TANGO BUENOS AIRES DANCE WORLD CUP every August, – avoiding 600 couples at the qualifying rounds.
ATUSA Official Championship is supervised by the Official Auditor appointed by the Office of Festivals and Central Events of the City of Buenos Aires and the Tango BA Dance World Cup. The Auditor will verify that the competition rules and regulations are applied correctly and will calculate the scores using the Tango World Cup formula. All categories in this Championship (official and non official) are evaluated by the Official Judges and audited by the designated Tango BA Dance World Cup auditor.
*TANGO BUENOS AIRES DANCE WORLD CUP (Mundial de Tango) is the most magnificent impressive tango event in the globe with the greatest international impact; it has completed 18 consecutive successful editions since 2003. It includes the colossal Tango World Cup and an awesome tango festival. Thousands of dancers and audiences from all over the world come to the city to participate in the various activities offered by this celebration. In August 2019, over 700 competing couples from 36 countries participated at the Tango World Cup and 10,000 people attended the Finals at the Luna Park!
- “TANGO DE PISTA” – OFFICIAL; open to both amateur and professional dancers. Residence restrictions apply. This category is bound by the rules and regulations of Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup.
- “STAGE TANGO” – OFFICIAL; open to both amateur and professional dancers. Residence restrictions apply. This category is bound by the rules and regulations of Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup.
- “MILONGA” – open to both amateur and professional dancers. No residence restrictions.
- “VALS” – open to both amateur and professional dancers. No residence restrictions.
- “SALON TANGO SENIOR” – open to social dancers. No professionals allowed. Age restrictions apply. No residence restrictions.
- “SO YOU THINK YOU CAN TANGO?” – open to social dancers. No professionals allowed. No residence restrictions.
- “STAGE TANGO GROUP” Competition/Showcase with evaluation by the Jury (open to amateur dancers directed by a teacher/choreographer). No residence restrictions.
For detailed information about passes and prices click here